Контакти *** О ШКОЛИ *** ОРГАНИ ШКОЛЕ *** РЕЧ ПЕДАГОГА *** ПЛАНИРАМО *** Школски часопис




The first schools around Grocka were opened later than the schools in other parts of Serbia which were opened in the first half of the 19th century. The similar thing happened to all schools in villages around Belgrade.

In most cases, the official date when the schools started to work differs from the real beginning of classes. People were longing for literacy but on the other hand there were big obstacles such as slight means for building up school, for providing teaching aids and educational material. But, the biggest obstacle was to find a teacher.

Typical case of this happened in Drazanj. People wanted to have school in their village, but they could not find a teacher. They decided to send their children to Umcari and Mali Pozarevac, the villages where the schools had already existed.

Aksentije Petrovic, a teacher from Mali Pozarevac, came to Drazanj and suggested the local authorities to let the only literate man then, Svetozar Kosanic, the local scribe, help children with learning. That meant to gather them ocassionally and review everything they had learnt at school. The teacher gave instructions to the scribe how to work.

The scribe was doing it well. When the war against the Bulgarians broke out in 1885, the teacher had to take part in battles. Before leaving, he visited the scribe, gave him the list of pupils from Drazanj and the instructions how to teach them while he was away. The scribe was diong it so well so that when the teacher returned from the war the following year, he tested the children and came to the conclusion that all of them could pass to the next grade.

It was not until 1894, when Drazanj had its first teacher who started to work in a very inadequate building. The new school was built in 1906.

The school in Umcari started working in a private building in 1864. Umcari was declared as a provincial town in 1876, and that year the school building was bought from Sofronije Stojanovic. From 1876 to 1900 the school was in that building. The teacher of the school was Djordje Cirkovic who taught there in the years to follow. The school had the largest number of pupils. So, the school in Umcari was the first in borough which had four teachers in 1911.

The new school was built in 1908.

Village Pudarci had school from 1893, and the new school was built in 1925.
Children from Kamendol attended the school in Umcari until 1893. The same year, the school in village was opened in a private house, which was bought from the people who owned it in 1894. (Toma Rasulic “Grocka chronicle”).


In Umcari, there is a central school to which also belong four other schools in villages Drazanj, Pudarci, Kamendol and Zivkovac.

Umcari is situated in the southern part of Grocka municipality. This is one of 16 Belgrade municipalities which is located on the right bank of the river Danube ( the length of the Danube in Grocka municipality is 24 km ) as one of the most important waterway of Europe: the Rhine-the Maine-the Danube).

Umcari and the villages which gravitate towards it have direct exit to the highway which belongs to the corridor E-10, one of the most important motorways of Europe that connects Eurpe with Greece, Turkey and the Middle East. Railway, which follows the same corridor E-10, also passes through these villages. It is interesting that three of these five villages have railway station. In order to indicate another specificity of the geographical location for development of this area, it should be said that Umcari as a micro area is situated in a very important industrial triangle: Belgrade-Smederevo-Mladenovac. Umcari is equally far from all three, and also well connected with them.

It should be also emphasized that one of the main characteristics of the area is agriculture, mostly fruit growing and viniculture, but also with significant income from cattle-breeding. Belgrade, and other regions, including Europe are supplied with all these products.


It should be said that curiosities of our municipality are also archeological site "Vinca" from the New Stone Age which is of international importance, Roman sepulchre in Brestovik from the 3rd century AD, protected by the Government. Besides these, there are also numerous archeological sites all over this area.

Some of the prominent persons from this region are Ilija Garasanin from Grocka, village headman Palalija from Begaljica, and Zivko Mihajlovic from Umcari. The last of whom was, at the time of Milos Obrenovic, the headman of Grocka area and an administrator of the palace in Topcider in 1830.

In the beginning of the 18th century, in the nearby woods, Prince Alexander Virtemberg had a hunting house since he was a passionate hunter. At that time he was the governor of Serbia and a member of the Belgrade Court. 

Karadjordje, Milos Obrenovic and Mihailo Obrenovic were in Grocka. Vuk Karadzic was in Umcari, as well as Joakim Vujic, a dramatist, who overslept in Zivko Mihajlovic’s house.

In 1660, Evlija Celebija was on his way through Grocka.

Roman emperor Probus raised a large vineyard in the area near the Danube.

In 1433, on his way from the Holy land, from Constantinople to Belgrade, a French knight Bertran de la Brocier, travels through the area. He leaves records of our villages. Also, some other French travel writers like Louis Jedeon and Cicle pass through in the 17th century. 

In 1567, an Italian travel writer, Marco Antonije Pigofeta also passes through the area.
In 1739, there was one of the biggest battles in the 18th century between the Austro-Hungarians and the Turkish which took place near Grocka. People in some villages talked about this horrible battle even hundred years later. Over ten thousand people among which were soldiers, officers and ten generals perished in the battle.

In the beginning of the 18th century, Prince Eugen Savoy in company of Portuguese Prince Manuel (brother of the King of Portugal, Juan IV) set foot on this land with 45750 infantrymen, 28743 cavalry-men in order to surround Belgrade and occupy it, as well as large part of Serbia.



The central school is in Umcari.

It is a modern school built in 1975. It has 27 classrooms and cabinets, a gym, performance hall, school library, cafeteria, spacious staff-room, dentist office, offices, four sports grounds in open as well as its own kitchen.

The schools in the villages around Umcari are placed in the older buildings, more or less renovated but without a gym.
The school in Drazanj has a classrooms, a staff-room and a small sports ground.

The school in Pudarci has three classrooms, a sports grounds and a small room meant for a storeroom. According to circumstances, it is used as a classroom. 

The school in Kamendol has three classrooms: two are used at the moment and in the third is the kinder garden.

The school in Zivkovac has one classroom.

The school is insufficiently equipped with teaching aid.

The entire school has 30 classes: three are combined (two in Kamendol, one in Pudarci) but there is only one teacher in Zivkovac who teaches all pupils from the first to the fourth grade.